Saturday 7 January 2012

Recipe corner: easy chicken fajitas

I love Mexican food as much as its possible to love a foodstuff. Until recently though I'd only ever used premixed spice kits when I made it. Then one week I made the rookie mistake of going food shopping with no list and forgot to buy said spice kit. Being the lazy type that I am - Morrisons is a whole two minute walk away and it was cold - I decided to have a go at making my own. And the results were surprisingly good. 

My fajitas are based on this Jamie Oliver recipe. I like a bit more heat in my Mexican than Jamie has in his - and I rarely have the time or inclination to make the salsa and guacamole - but this recipe is really easy. So if you're like me and enjoy eating your food much more than cooking it, this is one for you!

What you'll need 
1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 onion
1 pepper (red, the king of peppers, is best)
1 peeled carrot (leave out if a bit niche for you, I just really like carrot)
2 teaspoons ground smoked paprika (and it really is worth paying the extra for smoked)
2 teaspoons chilli powder 
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 glug of olive oil
Smoked Tabasco to taste
Extras to serve: tortillas, salsa, sour cream and grated cheese (the stronger the better, frankly)

What to do
Cut the chicken, onions and peppers (and carrot if you're using it) into similar sized strips and chuck (technical term) into a bowl
Add the spices, Tabasco and olive oil and stir until everything is coated 

Then leave the mixture to marinate for at least five minutes - I tend to leave it as long as it takes me to do the washing up and get everything out to serve. You should also warm your pan (Jamie recommends a griddle pan, I use a frying pan) up at this point. 

When the pan is warm, chuck (technical term) the mixture and let it sizzle away until the chicken is cooked through. 

Then all that's left to do is serve with soft tortillas and your choice of accompaniments; for me it's all about strong cheese, salsa and sour cream. 

Om nom nom. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your amazing blog. I finished this right now and thinking that it is the perfect recipe details that I was looking for .
    Chicken fajita recipe

    ReplyDelete